Saturday 27 August 2016

Fish Pie with Stilton Cheese Sauce

Modelled on a fish pie my mother sometimes makes. Though she generally dislikes cheese, so she wouldn't have made one like this :-). 

First I boiled eight medium sized potatoes in their skins for 30 minutes under glass (in salted water). I used three different kinds of fish in chunks - salmon, smoked Pollock, and Haddock. Enough to cover the base of a small roasting tray. The chunks were stir-fried in some sunflower oil at a medium heat under glass, 4-5 minutes each side, then were placed in the roasting tray. I made a sauce with some cornflour and water, and cut thin slices of about 150 grams of Blue Stilton cheese. Half of it went into the sauce, along with two handfuls of freshly podded peas.  

The boiled potatoes were drained, and placed in a large glass bowl, I mashed the potatoes, first with a masher, and once there was a mostly even mash, I used a fork. I also used the fork to introduce the rest of the Stilton cheese into the potato, along with a knob of butter. 

Once the cheese sauce was sufficiently thickened, I poured it over the cooked fish pieces in the roasting tray. Then I spooned the mashed potato on top. The surface of the potato was textured with a fork, in order to produce crispy ridges in the pie crust. 

The pie tray was placed in an oven preheated to 180 deg C for an hour, until the surface of the pie was golden brown. Voila! A delicious and nutritious fish pie, which can be adapted to whatever fish you have available. 



Fish Pie with Stilton Cheese Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment