Monday 23 November 2020

Haggis, with Potato, and Carrot and Turnip Mash


This dish has appeared on this blog before, Traditionally, it is haggis, plus potato and turnip or swede mash. I like to sweeten the turnip mash with carrot, but I love it in most forms. This was a MacSween haggis, which is, by general agreement, the best haggis available. I'm not sure however if they include some minimal amount of wheat in the recipe. I'd like to know. Haggis needs oats, but it doesn't need wheat. 

One of the great things about this dish is how it is possible to do the whole thing in a single steamer. No extra herbs, no extra salt, no added stock. 45 minutes cooking time all told, and ready to serve on the plate.I've had deep fried haggis (in the distant past), which is also quite delicious. But that was decades ago, and I won't revisit that.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment