Friday 8 May 2020

Cottage Pie with American Mustard

A dish which uses this beef mince recipe as its basis:

5% fat ground (minced) beef from the local Co-op. First I fried a whole Spanish onion (julienned and diced) until it was caramelised. Then I added tomato puree, red pepper, and carrots, plus 100mls of water, and simmered these for about forty minutes, along with beef and vegetable stock.

During this time I browned the beef in a drizzle of olive oil, stirring frequently (in another pan). The heat was turned down after ten minutes (brown, not burn!) I added diced chestnut mushrooms after fifteen minutes.

After thirty minutes I added the beef (etc) to the Spanish onion salsa, and simmered under glass at a low heat for about an hour.

The remaining beef mince spent 48 hours or so in the fridge, then I added it to a traditional enamelled pie dish. I boiled semi-skinned potatoes for twenty five minutes, then mashed them with about 50 grams of slightly salted butter, using a fork. The mash was decanted onto the beef with a spoon until the beef was evenly covered to a depth of about an inch. The surface of the pie was textured using the fork. 

Cook in an oven preheated to at least 180 deg C for between forty and forty five minutes (middle shelf). You can leave it in for longer than that if you prefer a more browned result.  

No comments:

Post a Comment