Thursday 13 September 2018

Chicken Cacciatura

A simple Italian dish with tinned tomatoes, chicken and bacon.

First I fried some diced smoked bacon in some olive oil, at a medium heat, until it became a little crispy. I removed the bacon from the pan to a dish, and then added diced onion (two) and tomato (one 400g can) to the pot. I used a spatula to break up the integrity of the plum tomatoes, added a quarter of a pint of boiling water, and then allowed the sauce to simmer under glass, while I prepared the chicken.

I used two previously roasted chicken drumsticks from the fridge, and cut off the meat. That took about five minutes. I then added a teaspoonful of sugar to the pan, plus a dessert spoonful of vinegar. I'd saved some of the jelly from the previous chicken roast (the fat drained off beforehand), and added that along with some chicken stock.

You can add herbs at this stage if you like. I added some dried rosemary. Stir together thoroughly, then add the chicken and the bacon. Again, stir in thoroughly. Allow to simmer under glass at a low heat for 40 minutes or so.

During this time I prepared some semi-skinned potato as an accompaniment. Before serving I added another pinch of dried Rosemary. A  dish without peer! Absolutely delicious!

The dish can be served with pasta or rice if you prefer.


No comments:

Post a Comment