Thursday 30 August 2018

Pan-fried Mushroom and Chorizo Frittata

There's a lot of discussion from time to time about what a frittata is, and what shape it ought to be. I'm way past that discussion now, but generally it is round, cooked in the oven, and made with eggs and other ingredients. How you make it largely depends on how many people you intend to serve.

In this case, the frittata was pan-fried, because I was not using up pre-cooked left overs, and I was cooking it for myself. I used no cream in the recipe, just a little  water, as if I was cooking an omelette.

I chopped the chorizo, the potato, two spring onions, and the chestnut mushrooms first, and added them to a preheated flat and lidded pan. Initially at a high heat, all the oil for the cooking process came from the chorizo sausage. Once the potato started to brown, I turned down the heat and covered it with a glass lid. Cooked for 25 minutes, stirring the ingredients frequently.

Normally I would have beaten two eggs together for a minute before adding them to the pan, but decided not to do that in this case. I cracked the eggs into the pan and stirred the vegetables through the egg thoroughly. When the egg had become firm enough I grouped all the ingredients together in one part of the pan, and cooked it slowly for about another twelve minutes under glass. I added two pinches of herbes de provence. I removed the frittata from the pan with a silicon fish slice. Served with a squeeze of tomato ketchup. Altogether delicious!

A lot of variations can be rung on this dish (cream, cheese, yoghurts, leftovers, etc), and it is fun to cook. I will revisit this one from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment